East Africa Postharvest Technologies Competition Fair
The East Africa Postharvest Technologies Fair (EAPTF-2017) provides a unique platform for Top 25 East Africa innovators to showcase their solutions to postharvest handling challenges namely: shelling, drying, storage, transport and logistics and Information and Communication Technology. The Fair follows a successful Postharvest Technologies Competition in Arusha in April 3-7, 2017 that involved Top 38 innovators from the region (EAPTC2017). The EAPTF-2017 will feature high level key-note panel discussion; pitching sessions by the Top 25 innovators; Business to Business (B2B and B2C) meetings, exhibitions and gala dinner. The Top 3 innovators will win seed fund amounting to USD 30,000. Key participants in the Fair include farmer groups and cooperatives representatives, regional organizations, government officials from relevant ministries, development partners, investors and financiers.
The EAPTF-2017 set for May 10, 2017 is organized by the Inter Region Economic Network in conjunction with its partners-USAID supported East Africa Trade Investment Hub and Syngenta. The EAPTF-2017 is the climax of a journey started in 2016 to identify postharvest innovations and technologies that demonstrate the ability to offer practical solutions to postharvest food loss and waste and show potential for scale-up and wider dissemination. The Top 25 technologies from the East Africa region address postharvest challenges in food staples consisting of grains and pulses; perishable fruits and vegetables; perishable livestock products; postharvest labour enhancing technologies(including winnowing and shelling); and postharvest ICT Solutions.
The East Africa Postharvest Technologies Fair 2017 Activities will include:-
• Boot-camp Accelerated Training for the Top 25May 8 – 9, 2017 (*Open only to the innovators, trainers and judging panel)
This will involve capacity building to the Top 25 innovators and preparations to pitch to relevant stakeholders during the Fair.
• Rehearsals and Competition Process to Select Top 10 Postharvest Technologies for next Round May 9, 2017(*Open Only to innovators, trainers and judging panel)
The Top 25 innovators go through a competitive process to select Top 10 to proceed to the pitching Round.
• The East Africa Postharvest Technologies Fair – 2017 May 10, 2017 (*Open to all invited participants)
• The Opening Plenary Session: will feature high level key-note panel discussion and announcement of Top 10
• Technology Fair: All Top 25 innovators to showcase their prototypes and pitch to the invited guests.
• Business to Business (B2B and B2C) meetings: An opportunity for in-depth interactions with East Africa’s Top Postharvest Technology innovators.
• Top 10 Pitches and Competition to Select Top 3 for Seed Fund: To identify top winners for seed fund.
• Award Ceremony: The climax of the East Africa Postharvest Technologies Fair.